SOLIDWORKS World – 3D CAD Event – 3D Printing
SOLIDWORKS World was packed with excitement, innovation, and amazing speakers. Here are the top 5 memorable moments for 3D Platform:
Memorable Moment #1: Exclusive FB Live Interview with 3DP
3D Platform was featured in a Facebook live interview on day 2 of the show. Mark Huebner, market development manager for 3DP, discussed:
- 3DP as a company and its large-format printers.
- The response 3DP has had at the show.
- The capabilities of the 3DP Workbench printer.
- Finishing options for 3D printed items
Check out the live interview to see why it made our top 5 memorable moments list.
Memorable Moment #2: A Human-Piloted Racing Robot
SOLIDWORKS user Jonathan Tibbett created a giant, human-piloted racing robot that #SWW17 attendees got to see in the Product Showcase area. It was too big not to included on our memorable moments list.
“I wanted to create a new sport,” explains Tibbett. “So, I came up with the design, involved my friends and community, and built most of the structure in my own shop.”
The Prosthesis anti-robot is a responsive, stable, and powerful exo-bionic platform that amplifies the motions of a human pilot. It is specifically designed as a sports machine, requiring a trained athlete to operate it.
- Mass: 3500kg
- Height: 4.2m
- Width: 5m
- Length: 3m
- Top speed: 30km/h
- Run time: 30-120min
- Power plant: 96V x 20kWh lithium ion battery
- Peak output: 170kW (225hp)
- Motion system: 100% human controlled, electro-hydraulics with direct haptic feedback.
- Suspension system: 50cm travel, custom engineered air and coil over shocks
Memorable Moment #3: SWW17 Shark Tank Start-Up Competition
Six hardware startups pitched their ideas to local venture capitalists for a chance to win$3,000 cash, a one-year subscription to SOLIDWORKS, and a spot at the National Finals to win $50,000. Startups included:
Vagenie came out on top with its Kegel fitness and tracking solution, and will participate at the National Finals in April.
Memorable Moment #4: 3D Platform Giveaway Contest
- 3D printer PLA filament for desktop and large-format applications
- An ergonomic CAD/gaming mouse
- A high-quality SpaceMouse Pro professional 3D mouse from 3D Connexion that features:
- Full sized, soft coated hand rest, 3Dconnexion six-degrees-of-freedom (6Dof) sensor, QuickView Keys, Rotation Toggle Key, Intelligent Function Keys
- On-Screen Display, Keyboard Modifiers (Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Esc), Virtual NumPad, 15 programmable keys in total
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 204 x 142 x 58 mm / 8″ x 5.6″ x 2.3″
- Corded Mouse – cord length: approx. 3ft
Stay tuned to see who won!
Memorable Moment #5: Robot Rumble Throwdown
Who doesn’t like a good robot throw down?
Spectators were not disappointed on day two of the show. Four teams battled it out in the first ever Robo Rumble, which placed it at number 5 for our memorable moments list. Middle and high school student teams went head-to-head in a gladiator-style competition. Teams included:
- Bad Kitty, Suzanne Middle School, Walnut, CA
- Beaumonsters, Beaumont School, Cleveland, OH
- Least Worst Robotics, Mt. San Antonio College, Walnut, CA
- Team Fast Electric Robots, Newbury Park High School, Newbury Park, CA